This tutorial assumes you have Windows 7 but the steps are very similar on other versions of Windows. All the software is also available for Mac but the instructions would be different. Please note this only works on unencrypted DVD’s (generally ones people burn themselves).
1. Put the DVD in the drive and when it autoplays close the autoplay program, you don’t want to watch it.
2. Go to Start -> Computer (On Windows 8 press Windows Key-E and Computer is on the left column on the bottom) and right-click the DVD drive. Select Open
3. Grab all the files and drag them to a folder on your computer
4. Go to the Apple Online Store and spend $19.95 for Quick Time MPEG 2 playback component (this tutorial assumes you have QuickTime already which comes with iTunes but if not you’ll have to download QuickTime first)
5. Download MPEGStreamClip (the non beta version will work).
6. Run the program and do File > Open Files. Now you will navigate to the files you copied from the DVD. There should be a VIDEO_TS directory. You want to grab the VOB file that looks like the one you want (you may have to experiment with this)
7. If the file name is broken into parts like _01 _02 _03 it will let you import all of the tracks. You generally want to do this.
8. If you only want part of the video you can press CTRL and click the progress bar at the bottom of the video. It’s a little tricky but you’ll get the hang of it.
9. Now go to File > Export to MPEG2 with MP2 Audio
10. It will take awhile but will retain the original DVD’s quality (no transcoding)
11. Now you have the MPEG you can upload it to Facebook. If the video file size is too large you may have to reencode it to H.264 which you can do with HandBrake but hopefully you won’t have to do that.